Ubuntu: KDE or Gnome?

I've used Ubuntu since version 6.06LTS. It's a stable, worry-free OS, very customizable, uses less specs compared to Windows. But there is one question that floats around: What desktop manager to use? KDE or Gnome? Of course the default desktop manager for Ubuntu is Gnome and KDE for Kubuntu but KDE can be installed in Ubuntu and vice versa.

Many forums state that it's up to the users opinion what manager to use; others state that use both then decide. I actually followed the latter. I installed Ubuntu then installed kde desktop manager. Compared both and here is my verdict....

Gnome
- simple interface
- "just works"
- no eye candy but there are packages in the libraries where you can install to "beautify" gnome
- solid and STABLE
- 8.04 version has easier networking capabilities compared to older versions IMO


Gnome is simple and minimalist. A "no-fuzz" desktop manager. Main things I like Gnome is it is very stable compared to KDE. Though there are still a few bugs here and there, but it's manageable.


KDE
- very eyecandy
- customizable
- lots of cool and useful applications
- BUGGY

KDE is beautiful. Very eye catching and very customizable. Applications in KDE are useful and user-friendly. Main thing I don't like with KDE is it's very buggy. Customizing sometimes doesn't work, memorized apps sometimes forgotten.

That is why I use Gnome than KDE. But if you got a mid-ranged computer, you can have the best of both worlds. What i've done is I use Gnome as default manager but I installed some programs from KDE like Amrock. Synaptic just installs the basic KDE libraries so you could run KDE apps in Gnome. I haven't tried the new KDE4. I might try that this weekend... cheers!

ishmark

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments: