Install Snow Leopard on a MSI WInd U230

Ok my previous post was about my success install of Snow Leopard on my MSI Wind U230. This time I'll try to recall the steps I took to install this OS (Operationg System). Hope I could enlighten other U230 owners who would want to install Mac OSX on their netbooks.

First off, this is the important specs of MSI Wind U230 that we will concentrate:
Processor: AMD Neo x21.6Ghz
RAM: 2gb
HDD: 320gb
Video: ATI HD 3200
Wifi: Atheros AR9285
Lan: Realtek RTL8186
Audio: Azalia Intel HD**
We are going to install the drivers of the above mentioned specs. I'll provide some of the files I used to install to get the best Mac OSX experience.

Like I said in my previous post, I have tried a bunch of distros only iATKOSv7 and Snowleo Mac are the ones I successfully installed. Since iATKOS v7 is a Leopard (10.5.7) version, it's quite outdated. So I installed SnowLeo MAC because it's a Snow Leopard (10.6) install then we will upgrade it to 10.6.4..

SnowLeo MAC: I downloaded and burned this to a 4.7gb DVD disc. Note: this is a torrent download, so be sure you have a bittorrent client, it's a 2.8gb iso file and it is bootable.

I partially followed this GUIDE. This guide is specifically made for AMD installs. Thanks to mtb_kng for posting this guide.

I'm not a programmer so everything I'll be posting here are results of my research and experimentation. I'll be posting links on sites I've researched and are quite helpful guides for a successful install.

Since the U230 has no dvd drive, I bought an external dvd drive just for this install and I really needed an external burner anyway. There are USB installs out there; Google is your friend.

Ok let's start: I downloaded SnowLeo MAC, link above, and burned it to a 4.7gb dvd disc.

Things you'll need:
a. a USB mouse
b. USB Keyboard
c. External DVD Drive (no need if you go for USB install)
d. Download the following:
CPUID - save this text file on the drive
kext files - these are the kext files I used contains kexts for keyboard & trackpad, ati driver, sleepenabler
THE STEPS:
1. plug in the external dvd drive, USB mouse and keyboard, and turn on the netbook

2. press F11 to show the boot selection, select the dvd drive

3. the bootloader loads up, press any key to get a boot command prompt.

4. on the prompt, type in cpus=1 -v press enter

5. wait for the installation to load

6. on the welcome screen, click on the bottom-right button

7. on the menu bar, click Utilities then Disk Utility
The Disk utility is where we format or erase the drive to prepare for Mac OSX installation. You may partition your drive, like I did. Heres what I did:
a. select the drive
b. on the right select Partition
c. Under Volume Scheme, select 2 partitions
d. select the top partition and name the volume; I named it Snow and the bottom partition Files
e. Under Volume Information, select format: Mac Os Extended (Journaled) for both partitions
f. click on the Options button below. here I selected MBR
g. Click Apply.
h. Close Disk Utility by clicking on the name Disk Utility on the menu bar, and select Quit
8. select next, then Agree

9. select destination; in my case I selected Snow , then continue

10. on the next page, click on Customize

11. These are the selections I installed :
a. 1st box must be ticked (this is the Base System install and the Tools)
b. Chamelion RC5, remove the check on the default RC4
c. Chocolate Kernel or Legacy Kernel: both will do since we will be replacing this once we upgrade
d. FakeSMC
e. Platform UUID
f. Apple driver RT8169 (under Lan)
g. AppleViaSata
h. IOATAFamily FIx
i. IOPCIFamily Fix
* Leave everything else as default
** Notice I have no Video, Audio, and Keyboard selected, kext files for these are provided above
12. continue with the install. It takes about 20 minutes to install.

13. once done, reboot

14. when chameleon boots up press down to drop down a bunch of selections

15. now type -v -f , just type and you'll see this on the bottom left of the screen. then press enter

16. you'll see a lot of scrolling words or phrases running down the screen. with a little bit of luck Mac OSX boots up.

17. once it boots up, it would set up your keyboard; be sure that the USB keyboard is still attached. Follow the instructions and fill out the required fields.. you may skip the Connect to Apple wherein it asks for your Apple ID. It is recommended you enter a password and never forget it because you will be asked alot in the following steps when installing the kext files.

18. ok, welcome to the Mac OSX desktop. now install the Mac OSX 10.6.4 combo update. this may take awhile.

19. Once done, DO NOT RESTART. install the Legacy kernel 10.4.

20. Now you can restart and pray it boots up.

21. Now we will install the drivers. Unzip the kext.zip file in a temporary folder.

22. now on the rightside of the dock you will find a blue folder icon with an A in it. This is your Applications folder. click it.

23. Scroll down and look for Tools folder, open it.

24. Open the Kext Helper b7 app. This app will help you install the kext files inside the kext.zip file.

25. Now drag all the .kext files you unzip to the Kext Helper app. Type in your password and click Easy Install.

26. Reboot and see if the keyboard and touchpad work, and if you'll notice the resolution is different.

27. Install the Airport Utility. This will upgrade the Airport to detect the wifi. If after installing Airport Utility update, the wifi isn't detected, try:
a. Restart the system
b. If still can't be detected, install this kext AtherosFix using Kext Helper.
28. Now lets patch the system. Unzip the Maxxuss Patcher. Drag the CPUID text file over the Maxxuss Patcher icon, literary drag it.

29. Open the Marvin's AMD Utility. It's found in Applications folder, the one with and AMD logo. It's going to ask for your password. Once it's opened, select the second option: Make.... now on the right select destination /System/Library/.

30. Now run it. There will be a folder created in the desktop which would contain a CPUID.txt. Marvin's Utility will stop responding, it's ok, just Force quit it.

31. Open the CPUID text file in the new folder on the desktop. erase first few lines under the syntax with Front Row in it then save,

32. Drag this text file over Maxxuss Patcher icon to patch the cpuids found by Marvin's Utility.

33. You're Done. Congrats on your new OSX86 Snow Leo

I know this is a long blog but I had to make it as easy as possible to those aren't techie enough about computers. You may notice that there is no sound. I'm currently looking for kext to make the audio work. I'll just post it here when I find one.

These are the steps I took to run Mac OSX smoothly in my MSI Wind. It took me a week and several clean installs just to boot smoothly. It's not perfect but I'm satisfied.

ishmark

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

11 comments:

P.A.T. said...

Thanks for this blog. I got my u230 working in just 4 hours today thanks to it.

Tricky bits:

Getting RadeonHD to deliver 1366x768. In the end I used chameleon system preference :peripherals: to set Graphic Mode on, with resolution 1280x800x32 - that did something and 1366x768x32 resolution appeared. Had to do plist edit to get rid of cursor block mode.

Getting wifi to work was tricky also, as contrary to your blog I had an ralink 3090 as network card. Went looking for driver, found one (leopard not snow leopard) on ralink site. Installed it. Bit of a funny driver, installs a utility and pretends to be a wired network to osx (so no icon in top bar), but once working all fine (note: use dhcp but force a manual address and use wired connection to router first time).

Still have no sound - tomorrow's job I think.

ads said...

Thanks for the guide, worked so far, having problems with the wireless, I have RT2860 in mine and have had no joy with the ralink software, not sure if they work with 10.6, any ideas?

dave said...

bro, just want to ask on your progress on the audio driver for u230 on macosx

thanks for the guide.

dave said...

bro, ask ko lang your progress on the audio for u230 on osx

thanks for the guide

dave said...

sir, i have a few questions regarding hackintosh on u230

1. i followed your guide but i cant seem to run marvin's amd utility
i only asks for my password then nothing happens

2. any progress on making sound work?

thanks in advance

dave said...

sir, a few questions regarding your guide

followed everything but cant seem to run marvin's amd utility
asks for my password but after that, nothing happens

and

just want to ask if u have any progress regarding audio for u230

thanks in advance

ishmark said...

sorry guys for the very late reply, been busy.

still no progress on the audio drivers, still getting choppy audio. audio only works when I move the cursor around, kinda weird.

@ads: I don't have an idea on the RT2860, try installing other network drivers in the installer maybe one would work.. try to google your wifi device with mac osx86 maybe someone has the same device as yours

@dave: did you update to 10.6.4? coz i found out that Marvin's utility doesn't work on 10.6.6.. just asks for a password then nothing happens.

bhakta Ilya said...

Installed on my msi u250. Took 4 days of life and a a few gallons of blood.

Thanks for the guide man!

I`ve included AMD Patch in Customization during install - otherwise it didn`t seem to start.

Also, you can`t really enter cpus=1 during snow leo install - this loader doesn't support command line ( I use the same distro as you)
But it worked fine for me even without the cpus=1 thing.


For those who have troubles with Airport ( installing newer airport doesn`t help)the symptoms are - locations list is empty) and wifi not working :)

This happens if after 1st boot leo loops after creating account and you have to manually reboot.

here is the solution:
-f in chameleon and when command prompt comes out in some time

/sbin/mount -uw /

passwd root <- Type any password you want

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

reboot


Also - anybody tried the newest snowleo update - I installed and it works - drivers are the same, but usb is not working.

Btw, anyone conquered the audio driver ?

have fun and Jai Jagannath :)

win said...

thanks for the guide. :) im still downloading the ISO, hopefully by tonight i'm installing Mac OS on my u230.

win said...

hi! im stuck at STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE...

i cannot proceed on installing/booting from disc... please help me. Im using MSI U230 light. thanks!

ishmark said...

did you burn the iso to a dvd disc? did you set up bios to boot from usb or dvd drive?

try burning the image to a different disc? I encountered this before, turns out bad copy of the dvd disc.